Sunday, January 2, 2011

This Week and Next Week

This week: Had a great first class of the year. It was fun to pick up all the new class members from the younger class - although it was a bit of a shock that we added 5 young women and no young men thus far.

Our lesson today about the roles of the Savior and about studying the New Testament went well. I recognized two times during the lesson when I was feeling the Spirit. One was while we were discussing how building a relationship to the Savior is similar to building a relationship to the people closest to us in our lives. I was impressed that I need to put more work into my relationship with the Savior in the coming year. The second time was when I testified of the importance of knowing God and Jesus Christ and how powerful it would be for each of us to strengthen those relationships.

I felt that we didn't get as much discussion on the roles of the Savior as I would have liked. To know Christ we need to understand his purposes and the prophecies of his coming.

One question from our lesson today was about what Isaiah meant when he said the Lord would "proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord". I found an interesting answer here.

Next week the lesson is about some of the events proceeding the birth of the Savior including Mary's conversations with the angel Gabriel and with Elisabeth. We will discuss the birth of John the baptist and prophesies about his mission.

I'm looking forward to it. Feel free to post any questions about today's lesson or next week's lesson in the comments.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

One thing I've often pondered is the different responses of Zacharias & Mary when an angel came to visit them with miraculous news. Luke 1:18 vs. 1:34. Zacharias response led to him being struck dumb until the child was born. Mary, on the other hand, was praised for her faith. So what was different in their response? How would I respond? How do I respond when the spirit guides me to do something that seems impossible?