Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Joseph's Reaction to Mary's Pregnancy


Read Matthew 1 this morning. The story of the Savior starts with some stiff adversity. We have this couple that is planning to wed and the Lord complicates things with an unplanned out of wed lock pregnancy that Joseph and Mary have to deal with.

Joseph's willingness to accept that Mary is carrying the Son of God and his decision to still marry her is impressive. I suppose a visit from an angel didn't hurt. I wonder how well known Mary's pregnancy was in the community. Did she face a lot of public scorn for her miraculous pregnancy? If it was well known I'm sure a lot of people were skeptical of her virgin birth.

I wonder what Matthew 1:19 means when it says Joseph was going to put her away privily. Some interesting commentary here: http://bible.cc/matthew/1-19.htm. Basically he would break off the engagement privately and not enter any formal legal proceedings that would have brought her more public shame. She still would be in a rather difficult position as an unwed mother in those times.

The manual says that if Joseph had divorced Mary publicly it could have lead to a death sentence. I like that Joseph is not so perfect that he automatically was going to accept Mary's story. I think I would have doubts in that situation and can relate to Joseph. It gives me comfort to know that God was willing to give Joseph a little more information with the visit of the angel.

No comments: