I love the Sermon on the Mount because of all the important doctrines packed into it and the principles it teaches. Why you do something is often just as important, if not more important that what you do. The need for us to seek completeness and to let our lights shine. Recognizing that life is a journey and is often taken one step at a time. There is evil enough for today - don't get overly worked up about tomorrow just yet.
Matthew 6:33 aBut bseek ye first the ckingdom of God, and his drighteousness; and all these ethings shall be fadded unto you.
My old mission buddy Elder Hall and I used to quote this scripture to each other all the time when we were in Ohio together. You can chase a lot of things in life but in the end the most important thing to seek is the kingdom of God. Everything else tends to work itself out. I don't always follow this counsel as much as I should but I appreciate the reminder.
Matthew 16:25a For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will blose his life for my sake shall cfind it.
I remember reading the story from President Hinckley's biography when his father quotes this scripture to him on his mission and tells him to forget himself and go to work. This scripture reminds me of the attitude I need to take with my temple covenants and my relationships with my fellow man. Life is not so much about you and what you get but about what you give. A rich life is a life where you serve many others and then you tend to be taken care of as well - see Matthew 6:33. I suppose this scripture has a bit of "It's a Wonderful Life" in it.
Matthew 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and aprayed, saying, O my bFather, if it be possible, let this ccup pass from me: nevertheless not as I dwill, but as ethou fwilt.
This is the ultimate example of obedience to God's will. The Savior is facing the most difficult trial that has every been required. Even he does not want to deal with what is in front of him but he is still willing to do it due to the strength of his purpose and love for his father and for all of us. What are my trials compared to these? Yet I seem to be able to complain about the smallest inconvenience at times.
Luke 2:52 And Jesus aincreased in bwisdom and stature, and in cfavour with God and man.
A great scripture for the New Year. I think one of my Seminary teachers used this scripture to teach us about the importance of looking for opportunities to follow the example of Jesus and grow in the different aspects of our lives - academically, physically, spiritually, and socially. The lesson stuck and each new year I try to think of goals in each of those areas to work on in the coming year. Perhaps tomorrow I'll post some of my goals for 2011.
John 17:3 And this is alife beternal, that they might cknow thee the only true dGod, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast esent.
There's a reason this is the mission statement for the class. To me this is one of the most important scriptures because it equates our quest for Eternal life with knowing the Savior and building a personal relationship with God the Father and his Son. The strongest relationship I've ever built is with my wife and it has taken enormous effort and shared experiences to build the trust and love we have with each other. Knowing God and the Savior is perhaps even more important and I should but much more effort into coming closer to Them than I do.
Romans 1:16 For I am not aashamed of the bgospel of Christ: for it is the cpower of God unto dsalvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
When I first read the New Testament I read an old copy that was laying around my house and this scripture was underlined in red pencil. I was young enough that I hadn't seen a lot of underlined scriptures so this one gained a higher level of holiness in my young mind and has stuck with me ever since. Be proud of who you are and don't hide from your testimony.
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your abodies a living bsacrifice, holy, cacceptable unto God, which is your reasonable dservice.
2 And be not conformed to this aworld: but be ye btransformed by the crenewing of your dmind, that ye may eprove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, fwill of God.
I've always liked how Paul words this scripture and it reminds me of the change from the law of Moses to the New Law that Christ instituted. We are no longer asked to sacrifice animals and instead are now charged with sacrificing our lives to his service and being transformed by his gospel.
1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
I tend to hold on to childish things more tightly than I should. I often need this reminder to grow up and let go of things that are of little worth and should not matter. I don't think this means that you shouldn't have any fun though. I still have a good time playing Legos with my son.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through aChrist which bstrengtheneth me.
Good to remember when living The Gospel seems too hard or you feel like you can't do something that you know you should. Remember that He is on your side and will make you equal to the task. It might not always turn out the way you think it should or expect it to but He will carry you through it.
Just a few of my favorite NT scriptures I've been reflecting on as I prepare to teach this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment